使用 XML 和 XSLT 进行数据交换及相关操作；
参见Ajax的提出者Jesse James Garrett的英文原文中文译文
该技术在1998年前后得到了应用。允许客户端脚本发送HTTP请求(XMLHTTP)的第一个组件由Outlook Web Access小组写成。该组件原属于微软Exchange Server，并且迅速地成为了Internet Explorer 4.0的一部分。部分观察家认为，Outlook Web Access是第一个应用了Ajax技术的成功的商业应用程序，并成为包括Oddpost的网络邮件产品在内的许多产品的领头羊。但是，2005年初，许多事件使得Ajax被大众所接受。Google在它著名的交互应用程序中使用了异步通讯，如Google讨论组、Google地图、Google搜索建议、Gmail等。Ajax这个词由《Ajax: A New Approach to Web Applications》一文所创，该文的迅速流传提高了人们使用该项技术的意识。另外，对Mozilla/Gecko的支持使得该技术走向成熟，变得更为易用。
对应用Ajax最主要的批评就是，它可能破坏浏览器后退按钮的正常行为（参见Jakob Nielsen’s的《Web设计10大错误（1999年）》）。在动态更新页面的情况下，用户无法回到前一个页面状态，因为浏览器仅能记忆历史记录中的静态页面。一个被完整读入的页面与一个已经被动态修改过的页面之间的差别非常微妙；用户通常会希望单击后退按钮能够取消他们的前一次操作，但是在Ajax应用程序中，这将无法实现。开发者们想出了种种办法来解决这个问题，大多数都是在用户单击后退按钮访问历史记录时，通过创建或使用一个隐藏的IFRAME来重现页面上的变更。（例如，当用户在Google Maps中单击后退时，它在一个隐藏的IFRAME中进行搜索，然后将搜索结果反映到Ajax元素上，以便将应用程序状态恢复到当时的状态。）
- Atlas, 微软AJAX工具箱。
- Dojo工具箱, AJAX/DHTML工具箱。
- Prototype, 开放源代码框架。
- Sajax, 简单AJAX工具箱
- Rialto, Rich Internet AppLication TOolkit.
- ZK, 开放源代码AJAX/XUL框架。
- MochiKit 一个不自称AJAX的轻量级js库，支持Json。
- 《Ajax基础教程》, Foundations Of Ajax 中文版，人民邮电出版社图灵公司出版，第一本讲述Ajax技术的中文图书。ISBN 7-115-14481-8
- 《Ajax实战》，Ajax in Action 中文版，人民邮电出版社图灵公司出版，人称Ajax圣经的经典著作。ISBN 7-115-14717-5
- 《Head Rush Ajax》O’Reilly出版社
- Microsoft® Windows MobileTM 5.0操作系统含Windows移动媒体播放器10和移动PowerPoint软件
- 配置强大的英特尔® XScaleTM PXA270处理器，624MHz
- 明亮的3.7"彩色TFT VGA显示屏，640×480分辨率
- 集成英特尔® 2700G多媒体加速器，含16MB显存
- 集成802.11b和蓝牙TM 无线技术
- 配备64MB SDRAM和256MBFlash ROM
- 集成CompactFlash Type II和安全数字/ SDIO Now! / MMC卡插槽提供灵活扩展性
DellTM AximTM Latitude D820 笔记本电脑
- 全新英特尔® 945芯片组提供强大的下一代技术:
- 正版Windows® XP专业版
- 可选最快的英特尔® CoreTM Duo处理器
- 超强的领先显卡选项: 256MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 110M, 或512 MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 120M – 最大化PCI Express的技术性能TM
- 明亮的宽屏15.4" LCD显示屏和三种分辨率选项: WXGA, WSXGA+和WUXGA。
- Dell的UltraSharp LCD技术实现理想的视效清晰度和更高的亮度。
- 标配的所有通讯技术包括56Kbps V.92调制解调器1和10/100/1000 以太网2LAN卡和可选英特尔® PRO Wireless LAN (标配)或DellTM Wireless LAN (可选)
- Dell Tri-MetalTM 机箱
- 全新Wi-Fi Catcher网络定位器实现快速查找无线网络或切换无线模式。
UCL provides students and staff with wired and wireless internet access at a number of locations on campus, through a service called RoamNet. However, access to this service requires the use of a proprietary Cisco VPN client, which is not supported on handhelds, non-Intel Linux systems, or other alternative platforms.
Many UCL students are accommodated in the college’s own halls of residence or other accommodation; UCL students are also eligible to apply for places in the University of London intercollegiate halls of residence, such as Connaught Hall.
Due to its position within London and the attractiveness of the front quad, UCL has been frequently used as a location for film and television recording.
The Mummy Returns uses bits of UCL (mainly the Main Quad) to masquerade as the British Museum
Agatha Christie’s Poirot, 9th series, 5 Little Pigs episode, filmed in old main library entrance and in main quad. Also used British Museum Reading Room, and Room 34 whilst in the area.
Batman Begins features the DMS Watson library as "Gotham Print Room".
Thunderbirds used the main Quad and Building as the "Bank of London".
Doctor in the House used the Portico as the entrance to "St Swithin’s Hospital"
Gladiator used the main Quad as a model for ancient Rome.
Silent Witness uses the main Quad (carefully avoiding the Observatories), the main door, and the South and North Cloisters as well as the Octagon. And, while they were in the area, they used the ULU and Senate House (University of London) buildings/ surrounding areas for good measure!
Derren Brown: The Heist, shown at 9.00p.m. on Channel 4 on Wednesday 4th January 2006, featured brief exterior shots of the main Quad and University Street. It was implied one experiment conducted was filmed inside one UCL building, although which one was not established, it was most likely to be the Cruciform Building which is located opposite the Front Quad.
Eyes Wide Shut uses the UCL GP practice as the clinic for Tom Cruise’s character.
Chicago-Kent teaches a standard first year law school curriculum with courses in Torts, Contracts, Criminal Law, Property and Civil Procedure.
The school places a heavy emphasis on Legal Research and Writing. Kent’s writing curriculum has been used as a model for other programs.
Students are well prepared to take the Illinois bar exam, with an 88.5% first time pass rate.
The school is founded as the Chicago College of Law in 1888.
Chicago College of Law and the Kent College of Law merge to form the Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1900.
The school received its American Bar Association accreditation in 1936.
Chicago-Kent and the Illinois Institute of Technology merged in 1969.
Landmark three year legal writing program begins in 1978.
Ida Platt, 1894. First black woman admitted to the Illinois bar, second woman of color admitted to bar in the United States.
Abraham Lincoln Marovitz, 1925. Appointed to Federal Court for the Northern District of Illinois by President Kennedy, 1963.
Richard B. Ogilvie, 1949. Illinois Governor, 1969-1973.
IIT is divided into four colleges, three institutes, a school, and a number of research centers, some of which also provide academic programs independent of the other academic units. Many of these contain departments representing the academic programs offered in each. The academic structure is as follows:
Armour College of Engineering
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering
Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Department of Mechanical, Materials, and Aerospace Engineering
College of Science and Letters
Department of Applied Mathematics
Department of Biological, Chemical, and Physical Sciences
Department of Computer Science
Lewis Department of Humanities
Department of Math and Science Education
Department of Social Sciences
Graduate Programs in Public Administration
Chicago-Kent College of Law
Center for Access to Justice & Technology
Global Law and Policy Initiative
Institute on Biotechnology and the Human Future
Institute for Law and the Humanities
Institute for Law and the Workplace
Institute for Science, Law and Technology
College of Architecture
Institute of Psychology
Institute of Design
Institute of Business and Interprofessional Studies
Department of Undergraduate Business
Interprofessional Projects Program
IIT Leadership Academy
Ed Kaplan Entrepreneurial Studies Program
Jules F. Knapp Entrepreneurship Center
Stuart Graduate School of Business
Center for Financial Markets
Center for Professional Development
Information Technology and Management Degree Programs
Industrial Technology and Management Degree Programs
Professional Learning Programs (CEU/Adult Education)
Armour Institute of Technology
One of IIT’s predecessor institutions, Armour Institute of Technology, was founded with a gift from Philip Danforth Armour, Sr., a prominent Chicago meat packer and grain merchant. Armour had heard Chicago minister Frank Gunsaulus say that with a million dollars, he would build a school that would be open to students of all backgrounds, instead of just the elite as was common then. This became known as the Million Dollar Sermon. After the sermon, Armour approached Gunsaulus and asked if he was serious about his claim. When Gunsaulus said yes, Armour told him that if he come by his office in the morning, he would give him the million dollars. Armour also stipulated that Gunsaulus become the first president of the school, and Gunsaulus served as president of Armour Tech from its founding in 1893 until his death in 1921.
Centered at 33rd Street and Armour Avenue (now Federal Street), Armour Institute of Technology shared the neighborhood now known as Bronzeville with many historic places – Old Comiskey Park sat just a few blocks away, west of what is now the Dan Ryan Expressway; the land used to expand the campus in the 1940s through 1970s was home to many of Chicago’s old famous jazz and blues clubs, with performers like Louis Armstrong highlighting the neighborhood; and, as evidenced by the affluent church in which Gunsaulus ministered and the Armour family attended, some of Chicago’s most influential members frequented the area.
Founded in 1895 by the will of Chicago real estate investor Allen C. Lewis, Lewis Institute stood where the United Center now stands. Lewis was one of many real estate investors to descend on Chicago after the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and helped to rebuild the city’s west side. The Institute, under its first director, George Noble Carman, quickly became a pioneer in education, offering adult education programs that were well before their time. The Institute offered courses in engineering, sciences, and technology, but also featured courses in home economics and other domestic arts. One unique program featured a young child "borrowed" from a member of the community who would be cared for by Lewis students for up to a year. Many Lewis faculty became well-known for their contributions to education and society, including Carman, who helped create the first educational accreditation board which became the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, and Ethel Percy Andrus, who became the first female high school principal in the state of California and founded the AARP.
Despite success on many fronts for each Armour Institute and Lewis Institute, the Great Depression and changing educational times left both looking for ways to expand and relieve debt. In the late 1930s, the Board of Trustees at Armour was expanded greatly, with many Chicago industrialists and businessmen joining the Board to increase both funding and notoriety. However, it was a proposal from Lewis’ Chairman Alex Bailey to Armour President Henry Townley Heald and Board Chairman James Cunningham that would lead to the birth of IIT. While Armour’s faculty and trustees supported the merger, some Lewis faculty and alumni opposed it, feeling that Lewis’ legacy would be forgotten in the new school. In fact, it was Armour’s campus that became the permanent home of the new school, and Lewis’ campus was used as a civic building by the City of Chicago before the campus was leveled and the United Center eventually constructed. The resistance by Lewis supporters led to a court battle, in which the original will of Allen C. Lewis had to be dissolved. Lewis and Armour completed the merger in 1940, and the fall of 1940 marked the first academic year for the new Illinois Institute of Technology.
Growth and expansion
IIT continue to expand after the merger. As one of the first American universities to host a Navy V-12 program during World War II, the school saw a large increase in students and as a result, had to expand the Armour campus beyond its original 7 acres. Two years before the merger, German architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe joined Armour to head Armour and the Art Institute of Chicago’s architecture program. The Art Institute would later pull out of the program. Mies was given the task of designing a completely new campus, and the result was a spacious, open, 120 acre campus set in contrast to the busy, crowded urban neighborhood around it. The first Mies-designed buildings were completed in the mid-1940s, and construction on what is considered the "Mies campus" continued until the early 1970s.
Engineering and research also saw great growth and expansion from the post-war period until the early 1970s. Fluid dynamicist John T. Rettaliata, whose research accomplishments included work on early development of the jet engine and a seat on the National Aeronautics and Space Council, was president of IIT during its period of greatest growth from 1952 until 1973. The period saw IIT as the largest engineering school in the United States (as a feature in the September 1953 edition of Popular Science pointed out). IIT was the home of many research organizations, including IIT Reseach Institute, formerly Armour Research Foundation and birthplace of magnetic recording wire and tape and both audio and video cassettes, as well as the Institute for Gas Technology and American Association of Railroads among others.
State Street VillageThree colleges merged with IIT after the 1940 merger of Armour and Lewis: Institute of Design (ID) in 1946, Chicago-Kent College of Law in 1969, and Midwest College of Engineering in 1986. IIT’s Stuart School of Business was founded by a gift from Lewis Institute alumnus Harold Leonard Stuart in the 1960s, and joined Chicago-Kent at IIT’s Downtown Campus in 1992; it phased out its undergraduate program (becoming graduate-only) after Spring 1995. (An undergraduate business program focusing on technology and IIT’s Interprofessional Projects program was launched in Fall 2004, but is administratively separate from the Stuart School and is housed on the Main Campus.) The Institute of Design, once housed on the Main Campus in S.R. Crown Hall, also cut its undergraduate programs and moved downtown in the early 1990s.
McCormick Tribune Campus CenterEnrollment and financial decline from the mid-1970s through the early 1990s threatened the school so much that leaving the Mies campus behind and moving to the Chicago suburbs was considered by the National Commission on IIT in 1994. Construction of a veritable wall of high-rise Chicago Housing Authority projects replaced virtually all of IIT’s neighbors in the 1950s and 1960s, a well-meaning but flawed attempt to improve conditions in an economically declining portion of the city. One of the most notorious of these high-rise complexes, Stateway Gardens, was located just south of 35th Street, the southern boundary of campus. The past decade, though, has seen a redevelopment of Stateway Gardens into a new, mixed-income neighborhood dubbed Park Boulevard begin; the completion of the new central station of the Chicago Police Department a block east of the campus; and major commercial development at Roosevelt Road, one Green Line stop north of campus, and residential development as close as Michigan Avenue on the east boundary of the school.
Today, Illinois Institute of Technology is experiencing a resurgance both nationally and in the Chicagoland area. Bolstered by a $120 million gift in the mid-1990s from IIT alum Robert Pritzker, chairman of IIT’s Board of Trustees, and Robert Galvin, former chairman of the board and former Motorola executive, the university is in the midst of a physical rennovation and revitalization campaign for the Main Campus. The first new buildings on the Main Campus since the "completion" of the Mies Campus in the early 1970s were finished in 2003 – Rem Koolhaas’s McCormick Tribune Campus Center and Helmut Jahn’s State Street Village. S.R. Crown Hall saw renovation in 2005, and Wishnick Hall is currently under work. Undergraduate enrollment has breached 2,000 after reaching a low point of 1,500 in the mid-1990s, and plans are to reach 2,500 by 2010, as estimate that is looking increasingly conservative. Chicago-Kent College of Law has been recognized as one of the top law schools in the Midwest, with leading faculty in international and technology law. Stuart Graduate School of Business, though low on students, boasts the 11th ranked Finance/Financial Markets program in the world as ranked by Global Derivatives magazine. Older programs are still strong, as seen by strong recent growth in the College of Architecture and steady enrollment in the same period for other units. New programs including Biomedical Engineering, "techno-business," and Journalism of Technology, Science, and Business have helped to bring more modernized education to the school still dominated by engineering and architecture programs, the traditional domain of tech schools. To further boost this focus on biotechnology and the melding of business and technology, University Technology Parkis planned to begin construction soon, by remodeling former Institute of Gas Technology and research buildings on the south end of the Main Campus.
Valdas Adamkus, President of the Republic of Lithuania
Dorothea Brande, writer
Marvin Camras, inventor (magnetic recording tape), educator
Roger Chaffee, astronaut (did not graduate from IIT, but attended his first year and was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity)
Alvin V. Cheeks, businessman, minister
Martin Cooper, inventor (cell phone)
Mark T. Diganci
Jack Dongarra, University Distinguished Professor of Computer Science, University of Tennessee
James Ingo Freed, architect
Julius Hoffman, attorney and judge
Hans Hollein, Pritzker Prize-winning Austrian architect (attended IIT for one year)
Alfred G. Holtum, engineer
Yasuhiro Ishimoto, photographer
Helmut Jahn, architect
Martin C. Jischke, president of Purdue University
Phyllis Lambert, architect
Jan Lorenc, designer
Tim Michels, businessman, politician
Sam Pitroda, businessman
Robert Pritzker, businessman
Grote Reber, inventor (radio telescope)
James G. Roche, former U.S. Secretary of the Air Force
Vincent Sarich, educator
Jack Steinberger, physicist (Nobel Laureate, attended for two years)
James Young, musician
Rajinder singh ji, noted spritual leader